Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Spread Some Love

I just read this great article a friend had shared on Facebook. It was written by a woman who in the middle of a personal life changing crisis was comforted by a complete stranger while those who were closest to her kept their distance, not sure what to say or how to respond.  It totally resonated with me.  I have had a few people who have really been there for me when it's felt like my life was burning down. I have had others who I am not particularly close with who have really reached out to me with a message, a card, a phone call or even just a hug. No words no explanations , just saying I'm here and I care.  I cant begin to explain how much these acts of love and kindness meant to me.

I also just finished reading a book called The Aviators Wife about Anne Morrow Lindbergh.  The life that the public saw and her reality were so different from each other.  It was a great read and totally fascinating to me. It reminded me that we never really know what anyone is going through at any given time.  People may choose to share their shiniest pieces of their lives in social media and they may always have a smile on their faces when we see them, but their insides may be broken or hurting.

I think everyone has their "stuff".  Some peoples stuff is on the outside and its easy to see, and others is so well hidden you'd never know there was anything there.  Either way after reading the article tonight and finishing the book today it just makes me want to do better at reaching out and just being more kind to people in general.  It reminded me how grateful I am for the people I have in my life and reminded me that I can always do better, be more.

Lots of thoughts swirling around in my head and I'm having a hard time getting them onto the page, but I think this is the general gist of it. Read the article and then do something, any little thing for someone you know who might just need to know that they are loved.  Good thoughts going into February, the month of love.

No comments: