Friday, November 8, 2013

Party's Over!


I had a party this morning and you totally weren't invited. Nobody was. Just me. I find that pity parties are best done this way. They tend to come rather unexpectedly so there never really is a good time for them to start, but I have found it's pretty important to know when it's time to wrap it up.  You know that old saying that every party has a pooper? Well its true, and nobody wants to be around a party pooper, so if you know it's going to be you, it's best if you just forget that invite list all together.  Sure sometimes it's nice to drag someone else along and unload a little but I've found a better way to wrap up these parties that I am prone to on occasion.

Almost exactly a year ago Brynne had her eyelid surgery. Almost simultaneously there were several other things that happened in my little world that had my heart beyond heavy. For weeks at a time it was more than I could do to just get out of my bed and breathe.  I don't know that I have ever felt quite so low in my life.  And then my friend Brandi went into surgery. As her health drastically deteriorated and knowing she had no husband and no family anywhere close by I had to help. I thought things were hard until I watched my friend fight for her life and live for just those few moments she could be with her kids. I lost myself in caring for her and helping with her kids. I was too busy to worry about my heavy heart.  As I saw her struggle with the smallest of tasks I was blatantly reminded that things could be worse.  After a couple of months of this I realized I was okay again.  My heart hurt for my friend but I was so grateful for the opportunity to serve her because it saved me too.  

I think it's okay to have a pity party now and then, but only if we don't get carried away. So today I will be busy.  Today I will be grateful for what I have been blessed with. And if I need a little kick in the pants beyond that, I'm calling Brandi! She is back to her healthy happy self, a constant reminder of being grateful for the little things in life, and more than capable of giving me a good kick in the tush if I need it. It's time to wrap this party up! 

1 comment:

Tawna said...

Thanks Jen. I read this on the morning of having my own lil' private pity party, and figure that it's good to get up and movin' now too. But we can pretend like it was a pity party for two--just few thousand miles apart--and that now we can both go off happier. ;) Love you.