Friday, October 5, 2012

I'm Comin' For You!

In just over 24 hours I will be riding in a yellow school bus 26.2 miles into the mountains north of St. George Utah. The skies will still be an inky blue and all the sane people of the world will be tucked into their beds. I will be confirming  for the 4th year in a row that I am crazy. Crazy enough to think I can get my legs to carry me all the way back down into the city.  I have made this trip a few times now, but this year is different. This year I am ready.
I woke up in the wee hours of the morning 5 days a week and ran.  I got in every single long run.  I had friends who pushed me, made me laugh, and trained with me.  This year I have no injuries.  No excuses. Three years ago my knee gave out. Two years ago I didn't train enough. Last year I didn't have enough fuel to get my body to the finish line.  For three years I have been chasing the dream of running this race all the way through. From the time I enter the lottery in March until the race day in October, this marathon is hovering around in my head.  I endure scorching hot runs, and sleepless nights just to prepare.   I am not as fit or as fast as I was 3 years ago, when I first determined to run this race, but I am ready nonetheless.

I am not alone in this quest.  Billy and Janelle, Corey, Reed and Shelley, some of my favorite crazies, will be out there running the course too.  But the goal and the expectations I've set are mine alone.  I run for me, and compete only against myself.  This is the year I will finally be up to the task.  St George Marathon, I'm coming for you!

No comments: