Monday, December 8, 2008

Welcome to my world!

In the middle of the night, it is not totally unusual to hear my son Drew start to cry really loudly, like he is having a bad dream. This is my cue to leap out of bed and find him wandering somewhat aimlessly, but usually towards wherever there are lights still on, and direct him to the bathroom as quickly as humanly possible. He will not wake up no matter what you do, luckily he always does the same thing...almost.



The first time this happened, Drew walked straight out to the middle of the hall, turned to face the wall, dropped his drawers and proceeded to "water" my baseboards and floor. Once he wandered into the bathroom on his own, opened up the cupboard under the sink and then took care of business. Another time I caught him just as he got to the couch in my living room. That night I had a bit of a Superman moment as I swept him into my arms and pretty much flew to the bathroom and just barely made it.



Tonight I got no warning. There was no crying, and the only light left on was strategically the bathroom light. I was just sitting down at the computer after cleaning up the house when I thought I heard the kitchen sink turn on. My first thought was that Jeff had woken up from the couch and maybe he was washing out his bowl that was laying at his feet, but I thought I'd just double check. As I began walking to the kitchen I saw Drew standing in the middle of the hall, exactly where he was the first time a few years ago. I tried to wake him and then I thought what the heck, I'm grabbing the camera! I called out to him as I was doing so,"Drew stop, you're peeing on my floor!" He just kept at it and then I snapped the following picture.


He didn't move one step. He is just stood there stretching for a bit and then, walked back into bed and continued to sleep. While my shout to Drew didn't wake him up it did successfully wake Jeff. He started walking toward the hall and I warned him of Drew's watering job so he wouldn't slip. I was off to grab an already dirty towel from the laundry room to clean the mess. When I got back to it, this is what I saw.



Jeff had taken one of my towels off the rack in the kids bathroom, tossed it over the top of the mess, and climbed into bed. Sometimes, I want to throw a towel over everything, and go to bed knowing that someone else will take care of it all. Tonight I was not so lucky. My floors are now clean and I am thinking now sounds like a pretty good time to finally get to bed.

3 comments:

Tara Rickards said...

Hahahahahaha!!!!! So funny! Drew has actually "watered" my garbage can in the bathroom on one of his sleepovers a while back! So fuuny! I'm so glad you got a picture!!! When he is a hot teenager, this is one of those funny stories his brothers will tell! Drew is so cute!

Karin said...

That's Awesome! Sounds a little like my son, although he hasn't done it in a while. Fingers crossed!

stacia said...

that is hilarious! one of mine is a lot like that... an all time classic "watering" was over the stair railing... that one ws my nephew, but still... so funny!