Monday, May 23, 2011

I Wonder...

I have been back and forth so many times this month I've lost count.  Splint, cast, splint.  No surgery, surgery, no surgery, surgery.   Sane, not so sane, and sane again.  Two things that haven't changed?  I've been busy and I've not been able to do nearly as much as I'd like.   One permanent change is on the way though.
In the morning I will have  a pin and a screw put in my wrist to hold my scaphoid together.  After discussing my injury with several doctors it sounds like surgery is going to give me the fastest recovery. It is also quite likely where I would have ended up even if I had waited a few more months to see if the bone would heal on its own.  I'm a little relieved, a little nervous, and a tad curious.

I took today off from wearing the splint I've had for the last two weeks.  Just a little breather before I'm casted up again for another long while.  I keep looking down at my wrist that after tomorrow will bear a scar leaving me a permanent visible reminder of this adventure in my life.  I wonder how it will feel to have hardware in my bones.  I don't even know if they will leave them in or take them out once the bone has healed.  I wonder what I'll feel like coming out of the anesthesia, and how much I'll be up for in the days immediately following.  I wonder how long it will really take to heal, and how well my wrist will work when it does.  Can I really survive a Fresno summer without swimming? And how in the world will I ever get rid of these crazy tan lines that are going to get MUCH worse?

I'm sure I'll get creative and find some way to survive the heat.  The tan lines are definitely a lost cause. Likely it will be a small scar, a quick procedure, and I'll feel just fine.  I'll probably be set to head out to Whiskeytown for our annual trip later in the week.  For sure it will take at least 8 weeks to heal, and I will probably just be grateful for my wrist to work again at all.  But still, I wonder...

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Sounds like Ricardo took great care of you. Its a good thing Randi and Ricardo work so hard and are such amazing surgeons. Too bad you did not end up with the experts in the beginning. Hope all is going well.

REBECCA GALLI