Thursday, June 12, 2014

Laundry Tips From My Brother

Really. 

You know how sometimes you get too busy to switch the laundry in a timely fashion and so your clothes that were just washed and cleaned and should be smelling all lovely and fresh like Mountain Spring, Clean linen, or April fresh (depending on my mood while shopping) instead smell like the inside of a locker room because that musty moldy smell has attached itself to every article. You know how hard it is to get that nasty smell out of your clothes and towels?  And what a nightmare it is if somehow that one stinky load gets dried and folded and put away and then there are just random stinky pieces of laundry in every member of your families drawers and closet. And even worse when your cute kid comes up and wants to give you a big ole hug or snuggle up with you and you're all smiley and happy about it until your nose is completely assaulted by that nasty stench?  Yeah I hate that too.  

A few years back I figured out that even with my colors I could fill my washing machine with hot water, pour in a wee bit of bleach and then add your clothes and when the washing machine finishes the cycle that stench is gone.  The problem I 've had recently is that we now have a front loading washing machine.  These don't allow for me to fill them up with water and then add the clothes, so I haven't been able to figure out how to address those rogue stinky loads. They seem to happen more often lately too. I cant decide if its because we have been so busy since the move and I'm just not getting through my laundry very well anymore OR if it's because these front loading machines have to seal so air tight that it provides a better breeding ground for that mold.  Either way I'm dying.  

I've been trying to soak my clothing one item at a time in a small storage tub with hot water and a little bleach but it's so dang tedious and I guess I might as well admit to ruining a few items of clothing while trying to make due like this. Then comes along my younger brother who always seems to know the answer to every thing and apparently this includes laundry. My brother isn't supposed to wash his stinky running clothes with the rest of the family's regular non sweaty stinky stuff. Somehow in the process of laundering his running clothes he found out about this little gem of knowledge and I'm going to pass it along to you. He told me all about the little tabs that people use to clean their dentures and how they can be unwrapped and tossed into the front loading washers and they magically take the stink out of your clothes!  

At first I was a bit skeptical, but finally decided to give it a try.  And here's the beautiful thing friends, it really does work!  So don't snuggle up with a stinky kid hug while your nostrils are assaulted or give smelly towels to your house guests who will then dry off with them and offend everyone they meet all day long.  This is just embarrassing for everyone involved.  Swallow your pride and buy denture tabs. Who cares if the chick at the check out counter thinks all your pearly whites are fake? That's not nearly as bad as smelling like a dirty sock all day long. Try it friends. 

You're welcome.

No comments: