Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Primary Program Antics

The Sunday featuring the primary children's program is always one of my favorite Sundays of the year. It's fun to see the kids diligently working to memorize their little parts for the program. There are always tender moments where a child bears a sweet and simple testimony of our Saviour, but I have to admit my favorites are the comedic moments that always accompany the program, usually by the youngest bunch.
This year was no exception. While this was the first time Wes was old enough to sit with us and watch, the other three were up front. Drew sat quietly and at one point I was worried he was going to fall asleep. Garrett wouldn't stop scowling because he didn't like the teacher's choice of classmate to sit beside him, and our little Brynne was part of that youngest bunch providing the entertaining moments. The first part of the program went relatively well, she stood up to sing when she was supposed to and even remembered most of the words and hand movements to the songs. She was so proud of herself after she declared into the microphone, "I am a spirit child of Heavenly Father".
About halfway through one of the songs Brynne was staring off blankly and I began to mouth the words to remind her. She waved her arms out at me and exaggeratedly pointed her finger at me and calls out "No mom, stop singing!! Don't sing! You're not supposed to sing mom, just us!" We were sitting in the front row and I was hoping not too many people could hear her chastising me. Then she decides to start climbing up onto the railing and tried to get on top of it. When she realized that wasn't going to fly she started in on a nice little round of Peek a Boo! Down and out of sight and then POP! she was back up again smiling broadly at us as though we should be so proud.
When the next song started she decided it would be a great time to fix her headband. Of course she ended up dropping it, and since I couldn't leave well enough alone, I try telling her to just leave it. Well once she realized she was getting a reaction out of me she started playing with it, wearing it like a crown on her head and then like sunglasses covering her eyes.
Next thing you know the whole front row of sunbeams is bobbing up and down and back and forth and the two teachers sitting behind them are cracking up laughing. Apparently they all were growing quite tired of their shoes and socks and ties etc. and were plopping down on the floor, taking them off and then popping back up into sight handing their teachers all their "extra" stuff. Both of the teachers bags were full of clothes and shoes by the time sacrament meeting was over!
Towards the end the kids sang Families can be Together Forever. Brynne sang along so well except for when she stopped to blow beauty queen kisses to each member of our family. My heart melted. She may be as sassy as they come but I completely adore her!




(okay so I know we were totally breaking the rules, but I found out after church that Jeff took a short video of Brynne's performance. It was not as dramatic as some of the other moments but gives just a glimpse of what was going on before everyone decided socks and shoes were optional)

3 comments:

Aaron and Devon said...

There is just something about the primary program that always makes me cry. The children are just too sweet. I can't even imagine what I will be like when Chloe is old enough to be in one.

GREENLAW said...

that video is funny!! where does aidan keep going???? :)

haley said...

Priceless!! I can't wait for a few more weeks till ours. I hope Aaron takes a video because I'll be on the stand and will miss this once in a lifetime event for Clara...the Sunbeam year Primary Program. They have all been great. Maryn did a sock puppet show for us. Tyler I don't remember, I think as a first time parent I was trying to reprimand him from the audience. Now I see other first time parents trying to get their kids to be good up there and I want to tell them, "Just enjoy it, it only happens once!!"