Sunday, January 17, 2010

To Make an End is to Make a Beginning

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

Last year I could have kept in better touch with my little brother

taken less pictures standing next to my gorgeous sister

and appreciated my mother even more.

Last year I should have furthered my education
laughed more,
and been more grateful for the health of my loved ones.
Last year I should have spent more time with family
listened better
and relaxed more.
Last year I may have worn too many hats
not given enough hugs,
or spent enough one on one time.
Last year I could have been a better friend,
been more patient,
and learned to just let go of what I can't control.

Last year I should have worried less about what others might think

But last year went out with a bang, and a language I no longer choose to speak,
This is the beginning of a new voice, a better sister, a better listener, a better friend. More patient, more grateful, more kind. More love and more hugs. Less hats, and less in control. More laughter, more learning, more time. Now is the beginning and its all mine.

Happy New Year!

No comments: