Friday, August 22, 2008

All Good Things Must Come to an End

Today is the last real day of summer...tomorrow only counts as a weekend, and Monday the kids are back in school. Every mother knows the interesting mix of emotions we have as school starts, part relief at the quiet that is sure to follow, and part dread at the rigorous schedule of school, homework, sports, and music lessons. This summer was different from any I have had probably since I have been married maybe even before that. This summer I had TIME!!!


We didn't sign up for any camps or classes this summer. I didn't host any parties, events, or vacations. In fact there was absolutely NOTHING that I had to do all summer. (Okay I did have two short meetings and set up for a stake dance but that was it). Everyone always teases about how busy I am and how many things I have going, so this really was quite rare for me. I started off with grandiose plans for my summer.


1. Clean out and completely organize the attic including building shelves....It was way too hot! What was I thinking?


2. Sew new bedding for Brynnes room and curtains to match...I helped my sister Tara get going on her curtains for a few hours one night and left my machine there... for the summer! Oops! (yes she lives only a mile or so away but still who ever thinks about those things when you are trying to convince the kids that it's really time to go home?)

3. Go through my closet and get rid of everything I don't wear...easier said than done. (Refer to my closet picture in my post "Exposed in a game of Tag") Also making this difficult is the fact that I have been loosing weight and I had no idea what would fit again and what wouldn't. Better wait on this one too...


So, I had a selfish summer. I did whatever I wanted! I really can't imagine how this happened or when it ever will again. So I relished in it!!! Here are some of the things we did while we were so unbusy as I liked to call it.



We went to the lake with friends and family...













In July we spent just over a week from Saturday to Sunday at Whiskeytown lake at the group campsite with all of my moms side of the family. Sterling's wife Katie and her mom and siblings came and Jasons step dad Stephen and his brother Skyler, and his sister Danalle, her husband Justin and darling little baby Colton came too. It was quite a crew!




We spent most of our time in our private cove of the lake playing on the rope swing, canoeing, kayaking, or out on the boat.


Look at these cute dads! Jeff, Jason and Ashlyn hangin' at the lake...




The kids spent much of their lake time hangin' on the water trampoline and on one of the boat toys when they weren't in use! The adults used them to nap and tan on!












We stayed up late playing card games and made smores every night!


Some nights the kids even put themselves to bed! Garrett crashed one night right at the camp fire! And check out my moms head lamp! Boy did we razz her about that one!





This year we had several visits from a bear. It wasn't a baby but definitely not a momma bear either I decided it was a youth. Tara thought I was pretty funny. Here is our bear...




Then as Tara and I were leaving for a run we saw a little snake by the road along our campsite. By the next day the kids had found it and were all taking turns holding it...in case you are even thinking it...no I didn't touch it!







The worst of our little visitors wasn't the bear or the snake, but the mosquitos. Wes is pretty much allergic and swells really bad. Then little Brynne got over 10 on her face. They were really bad this year!











Just a few weeks later Janelle and Peter and their kids came for a visit from Utah. The cousins all had a blast together. We swam at my moms house every day and of course did loads of shopping and eating out while the kids all swapped around between my house, Tara's and my mom's houses. At the end of the trip we headed out to Monterrey. We went to the aquarium partly because Janelle's kids hadn't been and partly because we bought season passes last year and we decided it would make us all feel a bit better about the purchase if we used them more than just once! It really is a neat place. The kids love the string ray exhibit the very most. They can touch the sting rays if you are lucky enough to have them swim near you! Garrett has come away from there both times we have been soaking wet and needing another shirt because of his efforts to touch the sting rays. It is always worth the gleam you can see in his eyes afterwards though.


Garrett and Jessica reading about the sea otters.



Wes and Drew hamming it up with one.





The Stroller Patrol. Looking Fierce!





When the rest of the kids felt like Brynne looks we decided to call it a day. We got some food and then settled in for the night. Our room ended up being the "playroom" with all the kids playing cards and watching movies. We all did a bit of reading and visiting before crashing.




The next day was the BEST day at the beach I can ever remember having! We went to Rio Del Mar and the weather was perfect. The kids busied themselves with digging holes for "hot tubs" and putting walls and moats around their castles. Jeff, Jason and Peter played football and boogie boarded and just enjoyed each others company. Words cannot express how much these 3 brothers in law enjoy just being together. They are very funny together and completely get each others brand of humor. Besides that they were all lucky enough to marry such fun Hurd sisters! Wow...









Janelle's little Nathan was so stinking cute at the beach! We don't get to see them as much as we would like but we all enjoyed getting to know this little guy a bit better. I have to say he thinks I'm pretty cool. I loved this little moment I caught of him and my dad. Nathan just snuggled in on his lap but didn't close his eyes just looked right up at my dad. He is such a fantastic grandpa!!!


The rest of the summer we have stayed close to home and done some serious relaxing! But more on that later, for now I just needed to document my summer of nothing to do but play!


3 comments:

justjen said...

Okay so obviously this post is WAY TOO LONG sorry. Didn't know what I was starting... And the layout changed when I tried to preview it and again when I published it...I am over it! Yes, I know it's CRAZY! Whatever...

Tara Rickards said...

So fun Jen! I love the recap of the summer! It seemed to fly by! Send me the pictures you took from the beach. Oh yeah and last Thanksgiving... and 4th of July 2007... Love you!

Janelle Ehat said...

So I need your pictures from our beach and aquarium trip!! You've got some dang cute ones of my family (as well as some dang NOT cute ones of me darnit!!). So fun though!