Thursday, August 28, 2008

Indulge me...just a little

There are just three things I have to share today. They are all about my running because I am kind of obsessed with it. There are no pictures with this post because the only thing to show here are my legs and that's a bit much don't you think? So here are my proud moments

1. My brother Billy ran cross country all through high school and was pretty dang good. He hasn't run for a few years and has just started up again. A few nights ago he asked if I wanted to go run with him. We did...and he said it not me, but I kicked his TRASH! First time ever! He will be much better than me in no time at all, but I have to say I am still kinda basking in the glow of beating my little brother.

2. I'm getting faster and running longer. I am now running either 7 or 8 miles most days, and still just stopping because I need to get on to my other responsibilities. It usually only takes me about an hour and 10 minutes to do all 8. I cannot believe my body is actually okay with this as I have NEVER been a distance runner. I come home from the gym and report to Jeff how far I've gone with a mixture of pride and still shock. Who would have guessed...?

3. So I have been carrying around what I have called "some extras" on my body the last couple of years and have felt pretty bad about the way I looked. Well all the miles of running are paying off as I have shed a few pounds and am getting back into shape. Just after my run today as I was waiting to get on the ab machine a young guy came up and asked if I played any sports. I told him not since high school. He says "Really because I just walked all the way across the gym to tell you what fantastic legs you have got! I am one of the personal trainers here so I notice that kind of thing on men and women but wow your legs are great!" Talk about a huge boost to the self esteem. I did have to chuckle though as he walked away I thought "good thing he can't see the rest of me."

Oh and I am thinking of doing a marathon or even starting with a half. If anyone knows of anything that is before Moab (that one is in the spring) let me know.

1 comment:

Carie said...

You're amazing! Please don't tell me you are doing all this on a treadmill . . . Indoor miles are worth twice what outdoor miles are in my opinion.