Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Firsts...



Monday August 25th

First day of the 2008-2009 School Year!

First time waking up before 7 a.m. for several months.

First time we were not almost late on the first day!

First time Wes and Garrett went to the first day of school with their hair longer than I would like, even after their hair cuts the week before!

Not the first time I have PRAYED for this ugly long hair trend to just GO AWAY!!!


DREW

First time Drew is in a 1st 2nd combo class...

First time his favorite friend Marin isn't in his class.

First time Drew couldn't stop saying," I can't believe it's the

first day of school! I am so excited!"







GARRETT

First time Garrett has had 37 kids in his class, 7 of them in our ward at church!


First time he tries to write with his right arm broken, and only time dad has agreed to write the long answers for Garrett on his homework.

Not the first time his cousin Jessica is in his class!

WES

First time our big 6th grader decided we didn't need to walk him to his class on the first day of school. He did let us down gently though...

Not the first time I have felt a little tug at my heart that accompanies the realization that they are all growing up and time is passing too quickly.





Not the first time I have gone out to eat with friends after leaving the kids at their first day of school, but it was the first time we were also celebrating Shelley's birthday and that we were all done working on her daughter's wedding reception. (I'll post some pics later it was stunning!)

First time I wasn't the last to arrive.

First time and probably the last I will ever hear Shelley say,"Wait, what is going on?! Jen beat me here?"

First time I sat and listened to 3 people around the table recount their tales of "The Craziest Morning Ever" that were way worse than mine!

Imagine...hot ham thrown around a car, fist fights, bloody mouths, shoes out of dress code,no schedule for the first day of Jr High, and biggest blond moment of not knowing which class your son just ran off into or what his teachers name is, and then popping your head into what you later realize is the RIGHT class and asking for names of teachers in all the OTHER classes! I had nothing on these girls! I love my friends!



In honor of Shelley's birthday I'm posting a bunch of pics of us together...



None that are too flattering


Most of which we are in costume or decked out for some youth activity.

Good thing we don't take ourselves too seriously huh!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHELLEY!!!


















Tuesday Aug 26th

First time I have ever been to a book club! We just started it.


First time I have willingly agreed to read a book about aliens. Agreed to read, yes, started it yet...nope! Read anything else...yes.


Not the first time I have procrastinated reading a Stephenie Meyer book.


I know I will love it, don't know what I'm waiting for...









PRESIDENCY MEETING

Not the first time we have met at 1pm at my house for a Presidency meeting! Just in September we have a Senior Retreat, Stake dance, and a Beehive conference. Not to mention the planning meetings for all those, but seriously with our great youth and the best leaders to spend time with it can only be described as pure fun! Here we all are at a service project earlier in the year!


Thursday Aug 28th

First time Garrett has had a real CAST!

First time being good friends with an orthopedic surgeon has come in handy! Thanks Eric!

Also, not the first time to meet Maureen at Pane for an end of the month visiting teaching lunch! Good times!
Friday Aug 29th

First time I really got smart while the kids were at school. My good friend Brandi and I spent the afternoon with music, books, Deli Delicious #26, Diet Pepsi's, and great conversation, all while in our swimsuits by the pool on the hot 106* day!


Saturday Aug 30th

First time Jeff insisted I stay home with the kids while he took Wes out to the Stake's vineyard to harvest grapes.

Not the first time have been grateful and a little proud at what a good kid Wes is turning out to be and a hard worker too!


Also, not the first time I missed out on what would have been a great picture. They were so full of dirt that their pants had to be shaken out and then washed separately so as not to contaminate the rest of the laundry!







Sunday September 1st

First time since we have been married that we got to church...all of us, early. 15 minutes early!

Not a first was my Sunday meeting beginning at 7:30 am leaving Jeff to get the kids ready on his own...

Also not a first, Jeff blow dried and curled Brynnes hair...what a cute dad!

Alas one more first, Brynne was burned by the curling iron...

Monday Sept. 2nd

First time ever to run ten miles! Also the first time a friend training for a marathon has asked me to join her on a run...apparently my conversational skills were anticipated as a great distraction...

Tuesday Sept 3rd
First day of preschool for Brynne!!!

Not the first time preschool has been at my house.

First time we got smart and HIRED someone else to teach at my house. Isn't she just the cutest girl? We are so lucky!

7 comments:

Tara Rickards said...

Jen! That was such a fun poat! Sorry I couldn't get the book club pictures over to you last night! I love the picture of the Presidency in your brown sweatshirts! It is a very flattering picture of all of you! You just are all so beautiful! Love you!

Tara Rickards said...

Hey edit that for me! I never read over what I write! Poat should be POST! I think I talk that way too! I should "edit" more often! Haha! I suppose that is what makes me, me! :-)

justjen said...

Tara I would edti if I could but you have to show me how first!

Anonymous said...

cute post jen...i hope to be a runner like you someday! since it's pretty obvious that you are in yw, i hope you don't mind if i bug you for a little info...are you still in the north stake? do you happen to know who the stake camp director is? i need help remembering specifics so i can implement them here! i'd appreciate any help you could give me!
-Jessica

Bill said...

Hey Jen... I'm a lurker no more. Now you'll know me when you see me. Your blogs are the best medicine for a rough day out here in the "rest of my life."

I get to smile a little before I go to sleep.

Janelle Ehat said...

Jen SUCH a fun post! Love reading about everything that's going on with you guys and I'm SO glad that your first day of school went smooth! I'm so proud of you for not being late! That's a HUGE accomplishment, especially for anyone in OUR family!!

shelleyv said...

Hey Jen,
What a great friend you are. Thanks for posting the bad hair day! yikes
Seriously I got a little choked up, I feel so blessed to be working with my dear friends. We all work hard, but we definitely have fun! I get my laugh fix every time we are all together. Thanks for being a be there girl, I know I can always count on you! Luv ya! Shelley