Saturday, August 23, 2008

It Was Only a Matter of Time

So our luck ran out today. The inevitable finally happened. Of all our children Garrett is the biggest Daredevil. When he was just 3 yrs old he dove head first off of a half wall at our house with his chest puffed out, and arms extended, wearing a complete Buzz Lightyear costume. When he landed with a thud and a few rug burns across his nose and chest he bawled. Not because he was hurt, which I am sure he was but because he was so MAD that those stinking wings didn't work! what was wrong with them?!



A few years ago when our neighborhood was in full Christmas traffic swing (the joys of living on Christmas Tree Lane) he was running back from a neighbors house after having some hot chocolate and watching the horse drawn carriages pull loads of people by to look at the lights. His head looked like one of those Bobble Head dolls going from side to side. He wasn't paying any attention when he ran into our neighbors parked car on the street. He hit it head on and being right behind him I got the full show. His legs went strait out from underneath him and it looked just like a cartoon. When he could breathe again he looked like he was going to start to cry and then slowly a twinkle came into his eyes and then he busted up laughing! " I bet that looked so funny to all the cars passing by!" It was all he could get out between the bursts of laughter.




So this morning I got a call from Jeff who had been out riding motorcycles at the ranch with the boys. Garrett had run into a fence. A few hours later our suspicions were confirmed. He has a broken radius and a cracked Ulna! I can't believe this kid made it to 9yrs before breaking a bone. Next week he will get his cast. My niece Jessica had a positive outlook on all of it. She said to my mom as they were waiting to hear the results of the x rays,"Wow, well if it's broken and he gets a cast LUCKY!! That's instant popularity. Everyone will be talking to him and they all will want to sign his cast!" I guess there is an upside to this for everyone...




My upside is that it looks like my fall schedule just got a little less busy. Garrett will not be able to play soccer this year. I am really disappointed because he is so incredibly fun to watch play soccer. I am worried about him missing a year too. Last year he was invited to try out for the all stars team but their schedule had too many Sunday games. However this year he will definitely be sitting out. So that only leaves Drew's games to attend on Saturdays since Wes had already decided to sit out the soccer season to focus on motocross racing...the joys of being a mother of boys!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh boy! I am often waiting and wondering when one of our kids will end up in cast. We seem to do stitches or glue quite often. Garrett you are one tough cookie. I guess having one less game and practice a week is nice for the schedule, but I'm guessing he will be wishing he could play! We need to go get some lunch when the kids are back in school!!!!

Sharisse said...

Hi! I love your blog! It was fun to see all of those pictures of your house and kids since I've never been to your house and haven't seen your kids for a while. They are sooo cute! Sorry about Garrett! Our blog is www.ryanandsharisserowanfamily.blogspot.com
Keep in touch k!!

Sharisse