Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Summer TWILIGHT


I really did put it off as long as I could. In fact I bought the book and brought it on my long camping trip, I just never opened it! I couldn't imagine I could possibly even endure a book about vampires! Then toward the end of July, I had finished all of the books I had bought and the ones I had picked up at the library. Jeff was gone for the weekend so I knew I was going to be okay if for some reason I actually liked it. You see my summer of being "unbusy" allowed me to indulge in my LOVE for reading. I just have this one tiny problem, just like I need to check off everything on the list, or have everything clean before I can relax, I also MUST finish whatever it is that I start. It is so completely annoying to be interrupted. So yes, once I start a book, I'm pretty much useless to my family until I finish it, and forget sleeping!


I had no idea what I was getting into, I put on my swim suit grabbed a diet Pepsi and Twilight and headed out to the backyard to multi-task. I started at 11a.m. on Saturday and by about 3:30am on what was still my Monday but just a few hours away from Coffee Guys Tuesday, I had finished all three books in the series...



and was glued to stepheniemeyer.com anticipating the arrival of Breaking Dawn. I was not disappointed. I liked the way that all the characters had all the loose ends tied up...as I am sure no one is surprised to hear since I am letting all of my strange quirks hang right out there in these posts. Next book in the series is Midnight Sun, Twilight from Edwards perspective, and it may turn out to be my favorite.


Until then, I am still greatly anticipating the arrival of ...


The guy cast as Edward is growing on me, but honestly looks nothing like the dreamboat of my fantastic imagination.
Tomorrow we are starting a new book group and will be talking about the whole series. It should be interesting...


I am not crazy addicted, and I don't own any T shirts or have Edward Cullen bumper stickers on my facebook page. I do however think that it is the very best love story ever written. Not in some educated, English major, dissect and analyze it kind of way. Just in that I loved the chemistry between the characters and the intensity. I mean who doesn't want to be loved like that? So since you won't be at book group what are your thoughts? Are you still resisting the read, or did you get sucked in just like me?


Anyway I have read all the books again since I read Breaking Dawn and about 10 others just trying to get the Twilight story out of my head. I think I"m good now, but it sure was fun to make time to read this summer. It has been about 4 years since I allowed myself to read books just for fun because of my tendency to ditch everything else. In fact Wes took a picture of me to prove that I was sneaking off into the guest room to hide from everyone, just to read. They are on to me now and I need a new hide out!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love it! I love that you read them all so fast. I get like that too with books and so I don't read so much! I loved them all and can't wait for the movie! Did you hear the movie is opening on Nov. 21st - they moved it up 3 weeks. We should go together!

Janelle Ehat said...

I was hesitant to start for many reasons. Number One reason for sure was that I didn't want to get sucked into it and neglect all of the things I really needed to be doing. And second I'd heard about the cheesy dripping with gag-me romance descriptions and wasn't sure how I felt about that or if I'd be able to stomach it (I can) and didn't know how I'd feel about some of the ethics of Bella trying to seduce Edward (I think I'm ok with the way it was handled because there was still a moral voice in Edward and also because it's not that it was preaching that Bella's views were correct, this wasn't an LDS novel, just an LDS author.) And then there's the fact that I was very disinterested in reading about Vampires and Warewolves (so over that and would love to read MORE!) Anyway. I'm about halfway done with Breaking Dawn and had to take a break to get the kids at the bus stop and Nathan woke up from a nap. I've been typing while he's waking up on my lap! He's awake now so I'm off to finish the last book!

Jen said...

I was shocked, but like you I totally got sucked right in. I resisted as long as I could. Wish I was in California for your book club --sad!!

Kristen said...

HI my dear friend that I never call or write - I'm terrible ~ good thing we have blogs to keep sorta caught up!:) I read Twilight last summer and did indeed get vacuum sucked right in and ignored my laundry,family,hygeine, etc.for a couple days, but I hadn't even heard of the series or anythign about them, a friend just insisted I read it and I took her word for it that I would be swept away. I even recommended my babsitter read it and she was like, ummmm yeah I read that like forever ago sister h! I think the series is fun and light and a great reality-zoning out device, which we all need sometimes. I had mixed feelings about Breaking Dawn. Next time we chat we can cuss and discuss. I can totally relate with your reading resurgence. I was thrilled in the last couple years to actually start reading for pleasure again, and not a maternity or child development book - I have felt totally liberated! We go to the beach and Royce surfs and I read - ahhhh, heaven. Your blog rocks, i knew it would! Love ya!