Sunday, March 3, 2013

Playin' Hooky

Last weekend I was going to sneak away to Tahoe to spend a couple of days with Nan at her friend's cabin.  A few things came up and Nan was no longer able to go, but I had gotten my heart set on skiing in Tahoe.  I talked to my mom and texted my aunt Michelle and by Sunday morning I had a new plan.  
 My mom and I left Sunday night after my girls camp meeting and drove up to Steve and Michelle's house just outside of Sacramento.  Monday we planned to try out the resort we get free admission to with our China Peak season passes.  Just after 8:00 Monday morning I got a text from Michelle saying she was going to play hooky from work and join us at Sierra at Tahoe!  
It was freezing cold and it was a bit windy on the back side of the mountain, but the skies were blue as can be. It was gorgeous.  I had fun trying to learn my way around the mountain and figuring out which runs were just at my comfort level.  I kept thinking about how much fun my kids and friends would have there when we came back in a few weeks.
I was having such a great time, but feeling a little guilty at having left my husband and dad with my kids overnight. Even though Jeff had encouraged me to go and just have a good time, I felt bad that they were all at work and school, while I was off playing!  Then I got a few texts from Wes.
He followed up that message with these pictures.  That boy knows the way to my heart!  He had things totally under control.  So I just relaxed and finished enjoying myself! 
As I rode the lift up for the last time that day, I realized I was happier than I had been in a long while.  A gorgeous day, in an incredible place, doing something I absolutely love.  Added to that was rush I always get right at the end of the day.  As the time ticks closer and closer to 4p.m. I am always trying to figure out how many more runs I can squeeze in.  What route can I take to get the longest amount of skiing in after I catch the lift at 3:59...?  I seem to ski a little faster those last few runs and by the time I catch the last lift up  my heart is pounding and my smile reaches my ears on either side.  It takes everything I've got not to dance a little and sing along with the music you can be sure is playing in my ears.  Ahh, it really is one of the best feelings in the world!
In spite of all Wes' hard work, Tuesday was a busy day trying to catch up with all of the things I didn't do while I was playing in Tahoe.  Just as the long day was coming to a close I got a text from my friend Natalie.  
 She really was needing a break and was going to China Peak to ski on Wednesday alone, unless there was any way I could join her.  I didn't have to think too long or too hard about that one! We wouldn't even be leaving until after we got the kids off to school. I stayed up extra late and got all the way caught up and even made enchiladas for Wednesday's dinner.  All I'd need to do is put them in the oven when I got home and no one would even know I'd been gone!
The slopes went from pretty icy to not bad.  That lasted just a bit before the sun really started thawing things out. Before long we felt like we were skiing in an Icee!  Regardless, it was another day skiing under sunny blue skies.  This was my view at lunch.
  That night Natalie texted me a picture of her view at lunch... I guess I dozed off for a bit while that hot sun beat down on my face.
It was another great day of playing hooky from all the things I should have been doing, twice in one week!  I'm not gonna complain!

No comments: